MANNA FoodBank relies heavily upon the extremely important work done by the best corps of volunteers in Western North Carolina!! Our mission to Involve, Educate, and Unite People in the Work of Ending Hunger in Western North Carolina is fulfilled because of our volunteers.
Last year we had 6,568 volunteers donate more than 46,073 hours. Get in the spirit and join us!
Right now our urgent need is…
MANNA is in need of volunteers for our warehouse. Volunteers are utilized sorting food, bagging produce, making MANNA Packs for Kids, and many other projects. Volunteer shifts are available Monday-Friday 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm. If you wish to donate your time, please contact our Volunteer Manager Maxwell Gruber at email@example.com or 828-299-3663.
Ongoing Food Sorting Opportunities
- Processing Assistants: Sort, clean, label and check salvage food and non-food items.
- Ability to lift 20-40 pounds is preferred.
- Time commitment is 2-3 hours a week: Monday through Friday, 9:00-12:00 or 1:00-3:00 (these are summer hours which will be in effect until September 6)
Community Distribution Opportunities
- Help drive or unload a 14’ truck (CDL not required).
- Clerical assistance: Filing, data entry, etc.
- Mailings: folding, stuffing, sealing, stamping.
- Media archive: Clip and organize news articles.
- Social media: help updating and creating content.
- Graphic design: Professional-level help needed to assist with MANNA print materials.
- Web support: assist in updating the website.
- Video and audio editing support.
Food Drive Opportunities
- Help deliver collected food
- Represent MANNA at special food drive events
- Help organizations make their food drive a success
Special Event Opportunities
- Preparations (admin and manual labor)
- Food & beverage service
- Silent auctions
- Event staffing
- Blue Jean Ball: Join a volunteer committee and help plan MANNA’s largest annual fundraiser, held every June. Committees typically meet January through June.
- Empty Bowls: Help organize and staff these special fundraising meals, held in the fall.
- CROP Walk: Participate in this annual community walk to raise funds for hunger relief and awareness about local, national and world-wide hunger. Raise pledges and walk yourself, or help MANNA distribute free water to walkers. October.
- Ingles Giving Tree: Greet shoppers at the Asheville Mall Giving Tree location and accept food and money donations. Late November through New Years.
- Mobile delivery assistant: Assist MANNA’s drivers with food distribution, which includes offloading orders and tracking offloaded product throughout MANNA’s 16 county service area. Ability to lift a maximum of 40 pounds and commitment to once a month is desired.
- Food pickups: As needed, on call, your truck or ours.
- Distribution assistant: Assist in organizing and numbering product; weighing out product; restocking, cleaning, and discarding items as needed; organizing racks. Some lifting required.
- Order pullers and checkers: Assist our staff by pulling partner agency product orders for pick- up and delivery.
- Warehouse Assistant: Assist with preparing mobile delivery orders.
- Loading and unloading vehicles.
- Cleaning and organizing warehouse.
- Coordinate and conduct on-site monitoring visits with member agencies;
- Oversee new agency recruits;
- Coordinate agency surveys and events;
- Some travel required (weekdays, evenings or weekends).
- Design and create festive decorations to add “pizazz” to the Ingles Giving Tree;
- Brainstorm in June;
- Make decorations in October;
- Assist with building of Tree the Sunday evening before Thanksgiving.
- Select, develop recipes for foods in distribution;
- Select, develop, evaluate and update nutrition education materials;
- Instruct groups, individuals and agencies on health promotion and therapeutic diets;
- Requires BA in Food/Nutrition/Dietetics or related field ADA registration and one year work experience.